I lead workshops for Unitarian Universalists (my home denomination) and other religious leaders on topics related to congregational growth, outreach, media, and innovation.
To help leaders keep on top of changing technology, culture, and associated shifts in strategy I’ve moved much of my training online.
My featured online offering is Leading Congregations Monthly, a LIVE online training offered every month on issues related to leading and growing congregations.
- Leading Congregations Monthly – details and enrollment
- Visit my online training center for all present offerings
Worshops and Seminars
I regularly lead worshops, seminars, and retreats for congregational leaders. This includes programming for a wide range of congregational leaders, professional groups, conferences, and denominational leaders.
Interested in organizing a program?
Please contact me with some basic information including the organization, your role, date or date options, and programming need. I’ll promptly reply with a scheduling link you may use to pick a time for our call.
See below for a the range of topics I speak on. All events are customized for the audience.
Social Media Training
I have been at the forefront of Unitarian Universalist social media from, well, the start of social media! I offer programming on strategy, trends, and platform specific skill training.
- Facebook Pages for Congregations
- Facebook Advertising Campaigns
- Twitter for Religious Leaders
- Twitter for activism!
- Blogging for Religious Professionals
- Mobile Video Production
- Live Video Streaming (Periscope, Facebook, etc…)
- Social Media Skill Training
- Social Media Strategy Sessions
- Developing Congregational Social Media Plans / Schedules
- Social Media Team Development and Coordination
Related to social media are topics related to our changing digital culture. Separate from skill training workshops, I offer programs exploring the larger cultural issues, trends, and implications of digital culture on our ministry.
- Trends in Social Media, Technology and Digital Culture
- Understanding the DIGITAL Search for Truth and Meaning
- Religious leadership in an Open Source Culture
- Digital Culture and Spiritual Parenting
- Ministry in a Collaborative Digitally Network Society
- Ministry in the Age of Cyborgs (Smartphone Connected People)
UU Growth and Membership Development
A critical part of growing a congregation is knowing what to do when people show up, how to meet and greet them, and how to quickly connect them with people in your community.
- Greeting and Hospitality
- Greeter Training
- Social Media for Membership Growth
- Small Group Ministry for Membership Growth
- Designing Connecting Events
- Mystery Visitor Services
Small Group Programs
Since co-founding the UU Small Group Ministry Network in 2004, I have been a leader in promoting and supporting Small Group Ministry and Covenant Groups across our association.
- Designing and Implementing a Small Group Ministry Program
- Small Group Growth Models
- To Grow Larger, You Must Grow Smaller
- Training for Clergy
- Small Group Facilitator Training
- Small Group Ministry for Religious Education
- Advanced Topics
Innovation and Entrepreneurial Ministry
I’ve been working as an independent Unitarian Universalist ministry innovator, change agent, coach and consultant for over a decade and have coached a growing number of UU’s leading innovative ministry projects. While I tend to do more personal coaching in this area, I periodically offer trainings for teams associated with entrepreneurial ministry projects.
- Personal Branding for Entrepreneurial Ministers
- Social Media and Communication Training for Project Teams
- Ministry Crowdfunding Strategies
Climate Change and Climate Justice
I spent my 2014 sabbatical studying climate change, climate justice, and how to get involved with Unitarian Universalist climate justice efforts. This was primarily my effort to figure out how I personally could use my discretionary time and skills to have the greatest impact.
In the end, I chose to work with internationally recognized climate activist (and Unitarian Universalist) Tim DeChristopher. I worked with Tim for two years, including during the launch of the Climate Disobedience Center. Though it is not my primary work with our congregations, engaging UUs in climate justice is of great importance to me.
Our reality is that all parish ministry now must be addressing climate trauma & depression. One of the best ways to do this is to kick some serious ### for climate justice! And I’m great at getting people educated, excited, and taking action.
- Mobilizing UUs for climate justice!
- Talking to Children about Climate Change
- Integrating Climate Justice into RE programming
- Building Resilience Through Story (Sermons & Messages for All Ages)
Spirituality, Technology and Futurism Themes
For a long time futurists were people who thought about and discussed the way distant future. Today, change is happening so fast, we are all challenged to be futurists. I’m actively studying developments in technology, robotics, and artificial intelligence with an eye to how they impact our sense of self, community, and associated justice issues.
If you don’t see a topic you’re interested in or were hoping for, please contact me with some basic information about your programming hopes and needs.