I am a regular guest preacher at congregations across New England, especially the Greater Boston area. I also preach nationally in conjunction with other scheduled events.
Not sure if I’ll travel to your congregation? Ask me. Given notice I may be able to schedule a training in the area and make it a larger weekend trip. I regularly work with local UU congregations to host my trainings. But I need notice.
Ministry & Congregational Life
Most often, I am brought in by ministers seeking an outside expert, trainer, and cheerleader for congregations working with:
- Supporting new social media efforts. “Friendship in the Digital Age” is one of my most popular services.
- Supporting small group ministry program development. I co-founded the UU Small Group Ministry Network and can help you launch a program or run a special “Small Group Sunday” where everyone tries a sample session during your fellowship time.
- Community building and creating connecting opportunities. Separate from a small group ministry programs, I preach on the changing nature of community, the role of congregations, and can run Sunday “connecting events” using combination of small groups and full group conversation.
- Challenging congregations to experiment, learn, and take risks. I’ve been a ministry innovator for years. I can help challenge your congregation to bring a spirit of innovation, experimentation, and play to your ministry.
- Turning congregations into “change agent academies” which is my way of challenging clergy, staff, members and friends to collaborate to transform the local community and the larger world.
- And other topics where it is helpful to have an outside expert so you staff and key leaders can say, “Well, remember what Peter said…”
I offer services on a range of themes that are less church focused including but not limited to:
- Zen, Mindfulness Practice
- Technology, Social Media, and Digital culture
- Mobilizing UUs for Climate Justice
- Transforming Introversion
- The Power of Imperfection
- Quantum Spirituality, Psychic Powers, and Jedi Mind Tricks
- Artificial Intelligence and the Robot Revolution
- Unlocking Your Inner Superhero
Messages for All Ages
As a seasoned volunteer religious educator teacher, former teacher, and children’s television producer, I LOVE to leading messages for all ages. I use this message time to explore the concept of the service in a fun, helpful and memorable way. Then I go deeper with the adults during the rest of the service. For example, below is a message for all ages shared during a worship service the day after one of my trainings. The host congregation had me preach.